USB Tethering with Windows XP :: Android

At present; almost all smart-devices support sharing the DATA internet from the phone to PC. When it comes to Android you’re be able to share your Google™ Android™ device’s mobile data connection with a single computer via a USB cable or via Bluetooth: and “this is called tethering“. In order to start the service, you just need to select the tethering option available within your phone settings.

Well, I actually wanted to say that; tethering will works perfectly on Linux, Ubuntu & Windows vista/seven operating systems with no modifications needed. But in Windows XP, it contains the drivers you need on USB tethering, but you must install a configuration file before connecting your phone to your Windows XP computer, to instruct Windows XP how to configure itself to use those drivers.

Steps to configure tethering in Windows XP

• First of all, right click on this link & save it as a file (if your browser show you as .html while downloading, just remove .html & save it as a file).
  • Make sure you saved the file on to a convenient place, like desktop (you can save the file wherever you want.. just I advised you to save to a place which is convenient to identify).
  • Once done saving the file.. connect your android device using the DATA cable given to you with the phone & plug it to your Computer.
  • Afterwards, go to Settings on your mobile; then select Wireless & Networks > and select Tethering & portable hotspot.
  • Under Tethering & portable hotspot select (check with a tick) USB tethering.
  • When done selecting, you’ll see a dialog box appearing on your windows XP computer mentioning “new hardware wizard” or something similar..  There select “No, not at this time” and click Next.
  • Thereafter, select “Install from a list or specific location“ and click Next once again.
  • After, click Browse to browse to the file directory where you saved the configuration file you downloaded in Step 1 and click Next. Windows XP uses the configuration file to configure itself to support USB tethering with the Android phone.
  • When Windows XP finishes installing the software for Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS, click Finish.
If above method failed to so, simply install the mobile suite & try connecting, it should work…
More: Tethering
14566 Views
Your Ad Here

43 Responses to “USB Tethering with Windows XP :: Android”

1. lucy Says:

When I connect the cable, I’m not getting anything that mentions new hardware found nor install from a specific location. Please advise

• Tanzim Says:

Lucy, go to Control Panel > ‘Classic View’ > Add New Hardware > then follow the prompts.

Great post worked for me. I will be sharing your post on my blog – tanzimhasan.com

Thanks
      Tanzim

2. Daniel Says:

Me neither

3. Lisa Says:

Me neither. It’d be nice if this blogger could provide instructions for all scenarios. ;)

4. myo zaw nyunt Says:

Me too,I followed your advise but I didn’t get the tethering process.The PC asked which kind and model of hardware installed you want.Pls explain to me clearly.

• Snuglz Says:

Disconnect phone cable from computer, disable USB debugging on phone, then go through installation again. You don’t have to pick the tethering .inf file, just the folder it is in. After that, restart everything and reconnect phone cable again. Look for icon in system tray to show it is connecting, then try to load a web page. This worked for me.

5. chan Nyein Says:

please give me android pc suilt

6. Neeti Says:

Same problem…When I connect the cable, I’m not getting anything that mentions new hardware found nor install from a specific location.

Pls help

7. GeekLK Says:

Hello! There,

Can you all specify your problems one by one here at http://help.geeklk.com in order to solve your queries. And our apology for the delay in replying.

GeekLK Team

8. Big O Says:

trying to lern how to trther

9. rahul Says:

it didn’t work. i did wateva u sad but…… plz give me pc suite or tell me from where i can get it plz……

10. Azker M Says:

Hello! Everyone,

Seems tethering is not giving a proper solution.. Please refer below for more & try using the software which is mentioned.

URL: http://help.geeklk.com/questions/4fe7d4f409a4d/tethering-to-xp

Cheerz :)

11. Vipul Mevada Says:

All above did connect phone as USB storage.
    pl. do nothing when connect phone with PC just ignore msg. in phone.
    In Phone press
    Home – Setting – Wirless & Network – Tethering – USB tethering [SELECT ]

This will show message in PC for installing USB software.

I m getting screen for new hardware found…
    i choose select from specific location to install.
    i choose downloaded file tetherxp.inf to Driver installation.
    But driver not supporting and its not working with
    my Micromax A75 Android 2.3

12. Samit Says:

Thanks. It worked

13. buythiscomputer Says:

If Windows XP doesn’t propose you to install the driver just go in device manager and do it manually.

14. rao Says:

wowwwww its working thanks

15. rparks Says:

I had the same issues but only after my phone upgraded to the new android ics update. None of the driver stuff would work for me but I have found that if you enable usb debugging and connect your phone (it will go through an install for “found new hardware”) once complete you can disconnect, uncheck usb debugging and reconnect and it will autoinstall the needed rndis driver which is on the phone in debugging mode ;) Has worked for everyone else I’ve helped, hope this works for you too!

16. Ag Says:

Hi..

I too tried connecting it folowing the above steps. But my xp new hardware setup doesnt ask for exact location of the saved config file and hence tries searching in the path provided.
    And it fails to find this (tetherxp) file then.

Please let me know what am i doing wrong here.

• Ag Says:

Also i am actually trying to connect the laptop to internet through the phone wifi. As in my phone is connected to the wifi and the laptop is connected to the phone via usb cable. Can i access internet through the laptop? Is that possible?

• madusikat Says:

I’m also looking for the same solution asked by Ag, any ideas how? And I’m facing the same issue, the “found new hardware” function doesn’t recognise the .inf i saved on my desktop. And when I select disk and select the .inf file it rejected it saying that it does not contain information of the specified hardware.

Please help.

17. puneet Says:

18. Abhijeet Says:

I tryied this bt der is problem to confugration
    a error is intrupting it..

Error code 10 occurd

19. Joakim Says:

This driver does not work with Windows XP 64 bit

20. sanket Says:

when I did tethering process as per your instructions then at last a pop up window came and a error occurred over there.
    the error name is (code10) what to do now?

21. Somebo Says:

Will this work for Windows 7?
    Thanks
    Shay

• Azker M Says:

Hi Somebo,

Yes! Tethering will work on Win 7. you don’t need any specific config as such. should work when it acquires the relevant drives to the OS. :)

cheerz.

22. Jen Says:

windows xp sp
    htc merge android…
    followed instructions up there even went to add hardware. i get through the process and select the folder where the download is and must not work with my phone. it asks to connect to the internet to find the right one
    frustrating looking for the right stuff to connect pc to phone for temporary iinternet.

23. ismail Says:

I have problem whem check thetering. It show connect for a econd and suddenly disconnect. What the problem. Pls help

24. sagar Says:

how to connect xperia tipo with XP OS ??please help

25. ajay joshi Says:

All above did connect phone as USB storage.
    pl. do nothing when connect phone with PC just ignore msg. in phone.
    In Phone press
    Home – Setting – Wirless & Network – Tethering – USB tethering [SELECT ]

This will show message in PC for installing USB software.

I m getting screen for new hardware found…
    i choose select from specific location to install.
    i choose downloaded file tetherxp.inf to Driver installation.
    But driver not supporting and its not working with
    my mobile sony ericsson xperia neo v android 4.0.4

26. rick Says:

i do all the steps but when it starts installing it a warning pops up that says this does not have mircosofts signature we strong recommed you dont install it

27. wani Says:

i did everything as instructed. the file install is in the notepad file.. i browse and want to select the file that i put in a folder, but the installation in unsuccessful saying that it is not the right configuration. what should i do now

28. Abhishek Says:

If nothing works, try the following link. Be careful while modifying the .inf file.

29. mair Says:

- In first I downloaded the file named from android site http://www.android.com/drivers/tetherxp.inf
    - Connect my android device using the DATA cable given to you with the phone & plug it to your Computer, go to Settings on your mobile; then select Wireless & Networks > and select Tethering & portable hotspot. Under Tethering & portable hotspot select (check with a tick) USB tethering.

- When done selecting, a dialog box appearing “new hardware wizard” I select “No, not at this time” and click Next , select “Install from a list or specific location“ and click Next once again, click Browse to browse to the file directory where you saved the configuration file I downloaded in Step 1 and click Next. Windows XP uses the configuration file to configure itself to support USB tethering with the Android phone.as written in android site
    - But after all that .When Windows XP finishes trying to install the software for Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS,the error massage showing and this is print screen from it

the wizard can’t find the necessary software

30. Raza Says:

Hey man Thanks. U made my life Easier

31. RachelG Says:

The reason your phones are not working is because the inf file only has information on Google Nexus, HTC Sapphire, Motorola Sholes. If you dont have these phones you will have to find the driver for your phone or edit the inf file to add your phone (dont do this if you have no idea what youre doing). You can open the inf file and view the list yourself in wordpad or another program and see for yourselves.

32. Ernesto Says:

It won’t let me download the tetherxp.info file..
    Huawei M886
    Android Version 2.3.6
    If you can please contact me here: Voldemort.Luthias@gmail.com so that I can solve the problems please.
    Thanks

33. Ernesto Says:

Also, everytime I click on the link so that it can download, it says “unsuccessful download” something like that. Yes, the option that lets me download stuff from unknown sources is on.

34. mukesh Says:

how to downloadind tether.xp

35. Rassel Says:

Thanks a lot :)

36. areev Says:

ya it is working man

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. USB Tethering with Windows XP :: Android | GeekLK :: | Gregory Reese Research - March 16, 2013

[...] via USB Tethering with Windows XP :: Android | GeekLK ::. [...]